Corning hoping to expand and add jobs; tax break sought | Business
MIDLAND - New jobs? Around here? Sounds pretty good according to folks we found in Midland.
"It would be great for our company to get more business," said Tyler Yow, working at the B & D Mart. "Great for our community, people that need jobs."
That's the word from New York based glassmaker Corning. The company wants to expand and add workers at the plant in Midland. Corning is planning a $50 million expansion that would add about 70 new jobs, each paying up to $20 an hour. But to do the deal, the company wants a big tax break.
The Charlotte Business Journal says right now the plant has 200 workers. It's located between Monroe and Concord on busy Highway 601.
And if you're traveling south you'll see Bob's Family Restaurant just before you get to the plant. They get some business from Corning now.
"But I get some, I'd like to get more," said owner Tommy Mitsios.
But in a tough economy, the thought of someone hiring again is welcome news.
"It sounds great, we've got a lot of business, restaurants around here, we all could use it," added Sherrie Dyer, who has been working at Bob's for about four years.
Ten years ago the Midland plant employed 900, but then the fiber optic market collapsed and the plant stopped producing. It was reopened in 2007 and now appears ready to expand.
The company does want help in the form of a tax incentive. It wants an 85% discount on property taxes for three years, that's about $800,000.
It's not an unusual request, and most folks we found say the area needs the jobs.
"Definitely more business, more people in here, we stay pretty busy, we get a lot of Corning employees in here, I think it would be good for the community with more jobs," said Kim Brooks at the B & D Mart.
John Cox of the Cabarrus Economic Development Commission told WBTV that a public hearing has been set to discuss the incentive proposal. The meeting will be held Monday, April 16 at 6:30 at the Cabarrus Commissioners meeting in the Governmental Center, 65 Church St., SE, in Concord.
Upcoming Events near Cabarrus County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Water line leak forces closure of 2 lanes of Hwy 150
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Public charter school celebrates expansion
- Matthews dentist to offer free dental care on Saturday
- Missing Matthews teen found safe, police say
- Charlotte home event, reflective of housing turnaround, sees record ticket sales
- Sportsplex ready for amateur tournaments and could put Matthews on the sports map
- Happy Christmas from Salisbury, England
- Officials: 2 arrested in case of newlywed shot during break-in
- Man shot to death in car on Brenner Avenue; second shooting within 8 hours
- Local woman talks about meeting Nelson Mandela
- Warrants: Man charged with murder would inherit property if grandfather, mother died