Former cop charged with DUI in wreck that killed Stanly County man | News
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH (WBTV/AP/WMBF) - A former officer with the North Myrtle Beach Police Department is facing a DUI charge following a wreck Tuesday night which killed a motorcyclist from Albemarle.
Rocky Lane Huneycutt, 49, died Tuesday night after his motorcycle was involved in a crash with a truck at the intersection of Sea Mountain Highway and Hill Street in North Myrtle Beach.
Huneycutt was a corrections officer at the North Carolina Department of Corrections facility in Albemarle according to NCDOC spokesman Keith Acree.
Honeycutt left work on Tuesday for a planned trip to Myrtle Beach and wasn't in North Myrtle Beach very long before the wreck occurred, Acree said.
Horry County Deputy Coroner Tony Hendrick said Huneycutt died from head and chest injuries at Seacoast Medical Center in Little River, SC.
Larry Hardee, 62, was charged with felony DUI. His Blood Alcohol Concentration at the time of the crash was not immediately known because Hardee refused to take the breath test at the scene. A sample of Hardee's blood was obtained at a hospital and sent off for analysis.
Hardee was taken to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center. According to the jail's website, Hardee has been charged with failure to yield the right-of-way, and felony driving under the influence.
Hardee is believed to be retired from the Myrtle Beach Police Department where he served for over two decades and he is a resident of North Myrtle Beach.
Huneycutt is the second biker to die during the Cruisin' the Coast Spring Bike Rally, which started Friday.
Robert Wayne Dew of Loris was killed Monday night.
Copyright 2011 WBTV. The Associated Press and WMBF contributed to this report. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Cabarrus County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Police looking for two men who robbed north Charlotte bank
- Public charter school celebrates expansion
- Matthews dentist to offer free dental care on Saturday
- Missing Matthews teen found safe, police say
- Charlotte home event, reflective of housing turnaround, sees record ticket sales
- Sportsplex ready for amateur tournaments and could put Matthews on the sports map
- Police: man jailed after knife attack on his own mother
- Newlywed man shot in head during break-in was supposed to be at Florida prison with church choir
- Suspect ID'd in newlywed shooting, considered armed & dangerous
- NASCAR fires up the cars at CMS for testing; watch it free from inside
- Icy conditions for the Carolinas?