Investigators asking for info in fatal hit-and-run | News
KANNAPOLIS, NC (WBTV)- Investigators are working across North Carolina, asking anyone with information about a February fatal hit and run in Kannapolis to come forward.
The incident happened Saturday, February 23. Sergeant Barger with the North Carolina Highway Patrol said they received a call around 12:30 p.m. that a body was in the roadway on I-85 southbound near exit 63, Lane Street, in Kannapolis.
After arriving on the scene officers discovered the body of a person who had been struck multiple times. The victim was later identified as a 14-year-old boy, whose name has not been released.
Officials say they believe the accident happened around 3 a.m., but they have no information on the vehicle involved.
Anyone who was in the area between 2:30 a.m. and noon who saw anything that might be related to this case is urged to call the NC Highway Patrol or Crimestoppers.
Investigators told WBTV that whoever hit the boy may not have realized it at the time, and that it is very likely they are not from the area.
A flyer is also being distributed to Crimestoppers programs and Sheriff's Offices across NC, to states along the eastern coast and to Crime Stoppers USA in the hope that someone can be reached who knows something more about the incident.
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Cabarrus County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Water line leak forces closure of 2 lanes of Hwy 150
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Public charter school celebrates expansion
- Matthews dentist to offer free dental care on Saturday
- Missing Matthews teen found safe, police say
- Charlotte home event, reflective of housing turnaround, sees record ticket sales
- Sportsplex ready for amateur tournaments and could put Matthews on the sports map
- Happy Christmas from Salisbury, England
- Officials: 2 arrested in case of newlywed shot during break-in
- Man shot to death in car on Brenner Avenue; second shooting within 8 hours
- Local woman talks about meeting Nelson Mandela
- Warrants: Man charged with murder would inherit property if grandfather, mother died